Thursday, June 20, 2013

10th Annual Hoohah - Chincoteague!

Wa-Hoohah!!!



This year was the 10th Annual Hoohah!
To mark the occasion, we decided to Hoohah on Chincoteague Island and spend our time biking around Assateague.
Fabulous decision!

Here is the little house we rented and the view off the pier at the front...


The first evening we wandered into town. It's quite small and a bit sleepy, but that's part of why we chose it.


Chincoteague is known for wild ponies.



After getting home, we put dinner together. I had brought down a hot pink (beet) quinoa dish in honor of the Hoohah, and a farm salad. After dinner we stayed up late chatting, catching up, and eating York peppermint patties - the mascot of the Hoohah!



The next morning, we loaded up the bikes, picked up a picnic lunch, and headed over to Assateague. Assateague is on the open ocean and it's all protected land. There is nothing built over there, so instead it boasts beautiful marshland, bike trails, birds, ponies, and beach. 







It was a gorgeous day, and we just drank in the sunshine, scenery, and company. We treated ourselves to an ice cream at the local favorite place after riding back over to Chincoteague. Then we headed home to clean up and make dinner. Here are a few pics we caught out on the pier just before the sun went down. 



 



We often finish off Saturday night of the Hoohah with a chick flick and more yorks. We kept to the formula this year!

I woke ahead of everyone the next morning and decided to take advantage of the chance to bike a little more. (Besides, everyone else had decided their patooties were too sore to go again...but I had to get back to that wildlife trail with my camera!) After biking around the loop, and popping over to a viewpoint to try and catch ponies again, I headed back into town and picked up a couple breakfast treats from the local bakery.


The Wildlife Loop bike trail





We always have crepes on Sunday morning...mmm...delish! After packing up, we took a couple more pics with our slippers - the Hoohah paraphernalia I got everyone for this year. 





And, we were off! It was just lovely this year! I was the organizer from afar, and I was really happy with the location, the home, the food - all of it! I just wish it could be a bit longer! 

It's been such a fun tradition to have 10 years of Hoohahs. We'll see what happens in the future. We've been blessed with relative proximity the last 10 years. But, Carolyn was moving to Wisconsin for a couple years within weeks of the Hoohah. And, it sounded like a number of the rest of us had potential irons in the fire to move elsewhere in the not too distant future. Perhaps the Hoohahs will have to become slightly less frequent, but I've a feeling they'll never go away all together. Wa-Hoohah!

No comments: