Here are a couple shots from our favorite ever thing to do in Singapore - outdoor concerts at the Botanic Gardens! This time we invited a whole bunch of friends from the ward, and had a great get together listening to the concert, picnicing, and chatting.
In the middle of March, I spoke at a regional church women's conference in Hong Kong. It was such a pleasure to participate. Because I had choir rehearsal on Wednesday night and a dress rehearsal on Friday night in preparation for our concert, I just flew in and out in 24 hours to give my talk. But, I loved every minute!
I prepared a 45 min class on The Practice of Self Compassion. It was such a good experience for me, and I really appreciated the chance to study and learn and try to apply. I managed to be there for the opening of the conference, which was unbelievable. The keynote speaker for this year was Celeste Mergens, the founder of Days for Girls, an important non-profit addressing feminine hygiene in third world countries. She was so inspiring. We went out on the harbor on a junk boat that night all together. Then to bed, and I was up in the morning to give my talk, listen to one other talk, and fly out! Such a whirlwind! But, I felt really uplifted from the whole thing, and that I had learned so much. I was really grateful!
Since from here on out, most of my pictures are lost, I found one from my friend, Robin Smith, who spoke right after me. Here's the room we both taught in, and the crowd was even quite similar. I'm there too, at the top right of the picture, by the table so I could help with her slides!
I performed that Sunday after getting back. I loved each and every performance at Victoria Concert Hall. This one went really well. It was an all German program with a guest conducter from Germany. I was soloing the high D and other high soprano lines on the Mahler Ich Bin Der Welt. Totally nerve wracking and sort of exhilerating. It went well!
Boys' school pictures came in! Adorable!
The boys had worked hard. On what goal - I can't remember! But, they worked really hard, and their prize was to go on the Singapore Flyer together! What a treat!
| I love the costumes everywhere we go!!! |
Here is David coming back with me from a trip to the wet market. I can't even say how much I loved walking down the road about 20 minutes to the wet market, loading up my stroller, and walking home with at least 4 basketfuls of fresh, tropical, amazing fruit, as well as all my meat and vegg for the week. It was such a treat! And, David was normally a great buddy along for the ride...so long as I had plenty of snacks!
We spent a wonderful day as a family biking around Pulau Ubin and walking through the mangroves there. The boys absolutely loved bike riding for the day. It was really neat and felt like such a different side of Singapore.
David's always been quite sensitive about the loud noise on boats.
| The bum boats to and from Pulau Ubin |
We got fitted up for bikes, and we were on our way!
Beau did great on the proper roads, but once we were on gravel paths, his little bike really working. So, he rode with Daddy!
Pulau Ubin is known for wild boar. As a result, you're not supposed to leave food anywhere. We had a very exciting sighting, and even witnessed this lovely boar snagging a lunch from someone who didn't follow the rules!
We went up to some look out platforms to look out over the mangroves and the island.
| Monitor Lizard! |
| Admiring the mangroves! |
We had a quick lunch and then headed back to catch the bum boat home!
At school, Lewis' year was doing the Easter assembly. He performed as Judas in the Easter play and did a marvelous job. It was so interesting and nice to be at a school where they actually acted out the Christmas and Easter story and had a tradition of celebrating those holidays. AND of course they also acted out or celebrated Diwali, Chinese New Year, and Hari Raya. Love that celebration of people!
The boys also got to participate in the English tradition of making Easter bonnets for school. When I first heard that, I assumed it was going to be very quaint, traditional attire. Oh no! The tradition is to make the loudest, gaudiest, craziest Easter hats you could imagine! They had fun!
And just like that, they were off school again for 3 weeks for Easter holidays!
Here are few pics of Lewis and David. David might only be able to say Beau's name (and consequently calls Lewis 'Beau' sometimes...easiest name in the world!!!), but he sure loves his biggest brother!
I can't remember why we were wearing Indian attire on this day. Was it a festival, or just personal choice?!? Hard to say! But they sure look cute!
A couple shots of Beau devouring our golden passion fruits, and sharing them so nicely with his baby brother!
And our cute baby ready for a jog!
And finally, Easter!!!
The boys were ecstatic about their Easter baskets.
The other major excitement was that we were taking care of our friend, Mai's bunny over Easter. What a treat to have a real bunny around for the holiday!
| Gummy hamburgers! A Singapore staple! |
| Cleaning out the bunny cage while he got some hopping time in! This was such a great thing to help with for our boys. |
| Less than excited to get up!!! |
We went out for our egg hunt. The boys hid chocolates for each other and for David.
Wow! I wish we could do our egg hunts amongst this foliage again!!!
We attempted a little photo shoot once we were all dressed for church!
Everyone, and especially David, was really ready to go by the time it was Mom's turn!
Here are some crazies...par for the course!



No comments:
Post a Comment